AN ALTERNATIVE TO COLD AND EXPENSIVE HOTELS
When visiting lovely Costa Rica, you have many choices of places to visit and options on accommodations.
We’re listed, among others, in The New Key to Costa Rica by Beatrice Blake, Harvard’s Let’s Go Costa Rica, John Howells’ Choose Costa Rica, in the Tico Times’ Explore Costa Rica, and in The Lonely Planet Guide. We are recommended often in message boards such as Costa Rica Living (a Yahoo Group), Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree, Fodor’s and Frommer’s Guide.
We are listed and reviewed on Booking.com and Airbnb.com. Click here to view our listing in Airbnb in English and other languages in a new window
Also check out TripAdvisor for reviews. Click here to visit our review page.
We also have a Facebook Page, click here to open it in a new window and see pictures of the most recent guests.
Also, feel free to go to the References page, see some of the nice letters we get, and email any one of our guests for their opinions. We have been in operation since 1999, way back in the previous Millenium, so we must be doing something right!
Below is a picture of Isabel, our manager, with her son Nicolás. She’s there from 7 AM to 7 PM. Your night host is Pilo (Adilio is his real name), and Sylvia or Flor are the breakfast chefs and housekeepers. Occasionally, Jose is there to lend a hand. We will all do what we can to make your stay enjoyable.
We offer you:
- An alternative which serves as a starting and finishing point to your trip, since we are 5 minutes from San Jose International Airport and SANSA Domestic airport.
- Transportation to and from the airport is readily available at any hour of the day or night with the official orange airport taxis and our friendly and honest cab drivers. For us, late check-ins and early check-outs are the norm so don´t worry about arriving at all hours of the night and leaving before first light. We’ll send you a comprehensive set of instructions (actually quite simple) on how to do the whole arrival-at-the-airport-taxi-to-our-door procedure, or driving and GPS directions and Google info/maps if you’re already in Costa Rica. Our 24-hour staff will wake you and provide as much of an early breakfast as you want, and a to-go bag with fruit, a box of juice, and a snack bar.
- A base from which to do day trips to attractions in the Central Valley, or overnight trips to more distant points.
- A place to stay during your whole trip if you’re here to check out business opportunities, real estate purchase or rental possibilities, or if you want to experience daily life in the Central Valley to decide if you want to move here permanently or part of the year.
- A place to enjoy an extended stay at very reasonable prices.
ADVANTAGES OF VIDA TROPICAL
- 5 minutes from the airport, but not on the flight path.
- Walking distance to the center of the city of Alajuela. On a nice, quiet, secure street, in a friendly, wooded residential area.
- Many restaurants nearby (deliveries available from McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Papa John, Chinese, roasted or fried chicken, and many more). Our favorite recommendation is Norman’s Jalapeños, the Tex-Mex king of Alajuela, award winning and celebrated. He’ll deliver as well.
- Bus stop on the corner for trips to San Jose, regional buses stop nearby as well, headed North and West to all Pacific beaches, Arenal, Monteverde, even Nicaragua.
- Movies and fancy shops nearby at the International Mall. There is a brand-new Super Walmart across the street from the Mall.
- We can arrange low price rent-a-cars or a van with driver (maybe even a stretch limo) to tour the country. Contact us for a quote.
- Bars and a Casino nearby for the party people.
- Many banks / ATM’s within a few blocks to exchange traveler’s checks or receive cash. We accept Visa and MasterCard, but not the new cards with chips.
- We have 6 rooms available, one has a private bath, 2 share one bath, and 3 share the last bath, all just outside your room, never a line.
- Full Menu breakfast with all delicious and exotic seasonal fruits, orange juice, fantastic Design-your-own-Omelette / eggs any style, self-service bread/toast bar with a variety of jams and jellies, bottomless coffee cup, French Toast, and fruit/chocolate chip-filled pancakes. For early flights out at any hour we’ll have coffee, juice, fruit and toast, or we’ll pack you a to-go breakfast bag so you won’t starve to death on the tarmac. We’ll have a cab ready and waiting for you at whatever hour you desire. We have 24 hour staff and wake-up service (no one has overslept and missed a flight yet), but to relax your trip anxiety, we have an alarm clock for you if you wish.
- Full access to our kitchen if you want to cook lunch or dinner, warm up leftovers in the microwave, or keep yogurt, drinks, and any other stuff in the fridge. We have beer, juices, water and soft drinks available self-service on the honor system, ask about it (the “beans” system) when you check in.
- Free local phone calls and faxes. We have cell phones for your travel needs available for rent for $1 x day, or free with a 2-night-or-more stay with us. Please reserve ahead of time, and we can give you a number to leave with your family or business associates to reach you while here. Avoid expensive roaming charges yet stay in touch.
- Free High Speed WiFi Internet, bring your computer or use ours.
- Brochures from many hotels throughout Costa Rica.
- Laundry Services available at $3 per load for wash and dry, free with 2 night stay.
- Extensive library of tour books, lots of good advice to go with them.
- Luggage, winter coats, surfboard covers and other goodies carefully stored for free.
- Lots of free paperbacks and trash novels to read while enjoying the hammock in the back porch or the balcony, or to take with you to read under a palm tree at the beach. Leave the Kindle at home.
- Makeup mirror and hair dryer available.
- Yoga mat and resistance band workout equipment in the balcony, for your Pilates, yoga, stretching, adjustable height wall bars.
- Vermiculture (worm composting) system in the back yard for kitchen wastes, creates manure for our herb garden. Kids love the worms, they´re gross!
- Souvenir T-shirts, gear bags and lots of other stuff available, as well as a “make-your-own-souvenir” and last-minute goodies.
- Each shower area has 2 wall-mounted dispensers, one with shampoo and conditioner, another with liquid soap, for your bathing pleasure. Unlimited hot water from on-demand heaters.
- Fire-proof, wall-mounted safe available for your valuables and passports if needed.
- Telescoping trekking/walking stick available, can be adjusted to be used as canes.
- Umbrellas and rain gear available for your use while here.
- Playful bunnie, BunTico, Hansel and Gretel running around the back yard, for your petting pleasure. BunTico is one of few bunnies in the world who come when you call! He loves bread and oregano.
- 3 hammocks available for your relaxing moments.
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
We know what you’re thinking: this sounds too good to be true!! That’s why we have a whole section called REFERENCES where you see a few of the guests who have stayed with us, and check out what they have to say. We have nice reviews and recommendations on Trip Advisor, Booking.com and Airbnb.com, check them out.
They can’t ALL be on our payroll!!!